Monday, 3 August 2015

Review - The Heir by Kiera Cass

24965992Title: The Heir (The Selection series #4)
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: 5th  May 2015
Source: Library copy



Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible. 

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests. 

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.  [Goodreads]
Plot:
If you haven't read the original Selection trilogy I would avoid this review as it will contain spoilers from that, but none from The Heir! For me, I found the original trilogy very entertaining - I didn't go into it looking for any depth and so when I heard this installment would follow Princess Eadlyn's own selection I was really looking forward to it. I did enjoy seeing the competition from the perspective of the royal rather than a member of the Selected and this added something new to the story. The plot, however, didn't bring anything original after that - it was mostly following Eadlyn around on her various dates, witnessing her confusion over her feelings and seeing how Eadlyn dealt with her responsibility of becoming the future queen. To be honest, it played out very similar to original trilogy, other than Eadlyn being adamant it wasn't something she wanted to be a part of. 

Characters:
Unlike quite a lot of readers, I didn't find America to be unbearable and too annoying in The Selection books, but her daughter was a different matter. I had to put the book down after just the first 50 pages due to Eadlyn's spoilt and bratty personality already making me roll my eyes. When I came back to the book, I did my best to see past it but she just wasn't likeable to me. I didn't feel for her and  her difficulty with coming to terms with being the future queen - I wanted her to grab the opportunity to become the first queen with both hands but instead she just whined endlessly about it being 'unfair'. She did grow a bit throughout the book, but nothing she ever did redeemed her to me. It wasn't until the men who had been selected showed up that my interest picked up - after all, the whole 'The Bachelor' process is what made me enjoy the trilogy so much in the first place. I don't have a single favourite man so far, and don't want to spoil anything, but I do have a few who I definitely want to stick around! I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about the remaining men in the next book. 

Writing:
I can't say there's anything special about Cass's writing, but it's hardly bad. She knows what she's doing to keep you reading and has found her recipe for success within these Selection books. Don't go into these books looking for anything too deep - if you take them at face-value as being entertaining and you don't mind love triangles (squares? pentagons?) then you'll find these enjoyable and escapist. 

                                       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...